Monday, June 4, 2012

What I've Learned in Relationships

Based off of a 4 year relationship, 4 month relationship, and 2 month relationship. Also based on numerous of non dating relationships. Learned a lot, even in the short relationships.

1. Don't be afraid to be emotional and creative. A big reason why I am highly creative today is because it was appreciated back then. I made my own anniversary cards/gifts. You have to think outside the box.

2. Don't ruin the moment. If you realize you're in a "moment", everything that you're supposed to do in that time frame can wait. Don't ruin a moment because you need to get home before a certain time, or your phone is ringing. Moments are hard to come by so gain everything you can from it.

3. Don't give up what you already have for something you think is better. I did this and it was a huge mistake. Instead, be glad of what you already have in front of you. The only reason why you think there is something better is because it's new to you. Don't believe the hype. Find different ways to make what you currently have more interesting, and do things you haven't done before.

4. To get what you've never had, you got to do what you've never done. It's amazing how so much can change with only a few minor changes in how you do things. Change your attitude, views, dress, preferences, and I guarantee you find noticeable differences in your life. You don't have to change everything, but at least change something. In order to get change, you have to change your views first.

5. Don't say too much in one night. My dad tried to always force this in my head. Every time I went on a date and noticed how flattered a girl was, I would give her more and more and more til eventually, it just got old. You don't want to do this. As my dad would say, save some for another day because you're not getting married overnight. Flatter the person you're with, just not all at one time.

6. Intelligence shows a lot. I'm not just saying this because I'm a college student. I have noticed a huge difference with this. Girls that are up to date with basic news (gas prices, war, presidential candidates...) have far more going for them. I'm not being biased, I'm just being real. I consider myself to be a future successor, meaning I want to make it big one day. If I get married, or have a long term partner, she doesn't have to be a nerd, but she definitely needs to be intellectual.

7. Don't get into a routine. Most people, including myself, get used to doing the same things over and over. Maybe it's calling at the same time every night, listening to the same songs over and over, eating lunch at the same diner. Switch it up sometimes. BE SPONTANEOUS by all means! Don't be afraid to take chances. One thing I remember being a neat idea was taking a random beach trip in the middle of night. Do what you can with the resources you have at your disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment